A bleak Thanksgiving in Michigan and some other thoughts

I have gratitude for so much, but I'm not going to mention that here, because it would be way too long a blog, but to keep it short, my wife, my family, the veterans out there, health, happiness, and so much more.  

Michigan Sports.  You know who may not be having a good Thanksgiving?  Local sports fans in Miss-again.  What I don't have gratitude for was that Houston/Detroit game.  Hey NFL, you got to do something about this - Detroit is a tradition on Turkey Day and I don't want them pulled, but you got to have competitive games for them.  Maybe the schedulers can find a team to which they are equivalent.

Speaking of Detroit, I see the Motor City Kitties dropped Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia.  It makes sense, and the timing is right - ten days before their next game.  But here's the kicker - there's going to be a lot of jobs opened up in the off-season, Detroit is going to have to really find a GM/Coach team that can fix this - and no Detroit, do not go to Jim Harbaugh.  

If football isn't tough enough in Miss-again, the Wolverines lost on Saturday to Penn State, yes, winless Penn State.  Only the Walmart Khakis could lose to the Beavers.   Oh, and by the way Sparty and Khakis, you both have Ohio State on the docket.  Oh shit Michigan.  

Michigan, I've never been to your state, but I want to get there because it's a goal.  I see the beauty of it in Summer and can picture myself enjoying my time there.  Unfortunately, your athletics is a freaking wasteland right now:  Tigers, Pistons, Red Wings, Wolverines, Lions, Sparty, oh my...is there a region that is suffering more than Miss-again?

Outside of Michigan.  Earlier I mentioned Beaver (relax pervs, I'm not going there), but I want to congratulate Oregon State for rising up and punking Oregon, and the final play 4th and goal from the one inch line with a QB who came in on that play with no experience on the season and took it in was pretty cool.  In 2023 I may be heading up there to check out a game if things go right.

Congratulations are also in order for Iowa State who went down to Austin and got the Short-horns.  I really want them to win the Big 12 after all the years I've bitched about relegating them to FCS, and bringing North Dakota State up.

Props to the young lady out of Vanderbilt who had a kickoff in the game against Missouri.  I understand the special teams got hit hard with the 'rona, and so they reached out to her and she said yes.  Nice job Sarah.  

Jaret Patterson ran for 409 yards for Buffalo against Kent State.  Wow, I don't care how bad Kent is that's simply amazing.

NFL.  Games to watch this week.  I can only pick three because the rest is absolute shit:

  • Arizona @ New England.  Arizona has to win this game, they can't screw around here.  They need to go into BB's house and start off strong and finish em off.
  • Kansas City @ Tampa Bay.  Hey look, I know this sounds stupid, but these teams haven't played up to their capability, and this one is going to be interesting to see how that thought plays out here.  
  • Baltimore @ Pittsburgh (maybe).  Hell yeah if I was Pittsburgh I'd be pissed, but take it out on the Crabcakes on Tuesday.  But hey Steel City, don't bitch too much, you're freaking 10-0, though I do empathize with having to play a game on Tuesday than go right back at it.  But hey, that game is at home against Washington - though they are playing pretty good right now.

Final Thought.  So as Thanksgiving day itself is now a memory, we start to think about the holiday season, and for whatever reason that I cannot explain, I have Christmas music on my mind.  

Well, this will be it for now, as I settle into my chair to watch Alabama lay the wood to Auburn, but I think I'll drop some more knowledge soon.  Hey Michigan, I feel for you.  

Comments