Tuesdays Tantrum, August 11, 2020


 

Years ago, I blogged.  It was about sports.  It was silly, but every Tuesday, my schtick was to do what I called “Tuesday Tantrums” which was about stuff I found ridiculous or stupid in the world of sports and rant on it.  Well, I guess I’m back to it starting now, so let’s get it started – but maybe a bit more serious.

Politics.  My friend Beeze made a very important point recently, so I'm gonna provide my take on it:

The preamble of the Constitution reads as follows:  "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

The beginning of the Declaration of Independence:   "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."


Quick, can anybody identify (outside of providing for the common defense), what has a leader done in the last 40 years that fulfills the statements I included?  If you can identify it, then congratulations because my guess is that you are in the minority.

If governments derive their just power from the consent of the governed, why are we consenting to reward these "leaders" who either haven't done shit or have failed miserably?  Why do they continue to receive insane perks and yet folks struggle and fall further behind?  Isn't insanity somewhat defined as doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Why are the same people reelected for over 40 years?  Seems to me that this is taxation without representation - I'm being taxed and getting absolutely nothing out of it.  Anybody remember that line from our school days?

Seems to me that leadership absolutely REFUSES to make the necessary changes while absorbing all the perks because they fear pushback and the loss of those perks, while in REAL LIFE, so many are struggling and suffering?  Rather than be bold and visionary, they go back to what they know? And we reward these "leaders?"  It just doesn't make sense to me.

Candidate Ronald Reagan asked a simple question in the 1980 debate:  "Are you better off than you were four years ago?"  Hell folks, are we better off than we were 40 years ago?  In my opinion, this country isn't better off and it's a direct result of abdication of responsibility of leadership.  Don't get it twisted folks, this ain't just about politics and National Government - it has seeped into all things, be it corporate, law, medical, education, wherever.  It's an embarrassment.  A disgrace.

Derrius Guice.  Dude has an injury history and a past question about his maturity AND he’s a member of a football franchise that CANNOT afford any negativity.  So what does he ALLEGEDLY go out and do?  Domestic Violence.  As a member of the Washington Football Franchise.  OK, look, I get it that it’s ALLEGED, but it was ALLEGED enough that the Washington Football Franchise has cut him.  Memo to Derrius and all the players remaining in Washington – that is the LAST place any player has room to screw up. 

Ellen DeGeneres.  I’ve always operated under the assumption that this was one of the nicest people in the world, so I’m not understanding this.  Is this her being a hag, or is it a bunch of underlings who she trusted taking that trust way too far?  For the sake of all those who love and respect this woman, I sure hope that it's a bunch of idiots who got out of control and that she just was too removed.  

Look, this is a bit out of my wheelhouse, but it's also something that confirms a long-held belief I have had:  The higher you get, the less you can control.  That being said, "trust but verify."  If your name is out there, spot check how things are going.  Check to ensure your rep is the way you think it is.


Sacramento Kings.   14 consecutive years of missing the playoffs, just one year away from tying the Clippers for the longest gap of playoff appearances in NBA history, and nobody in the organization appears concerned at all.  Players checked out, Coach is listless, Basketball Ops has failed, and the Ownership is reeling from past horrific decisions. 

Me thinks its time for the NBA to step in and try to coach this organization up.  I personally would like to see Adam Silver go public and say “Damn, Kings, can you step it up???”

My question is now this:  What do the fans do?  Do they patiently wait for next season, hoping it’ll be better?  Do they go into next season with skepticism?  Or, do they say “I’ve had enough of this non-sense, I’ll start rooting for another team?” 

If you are into basketball, name me a team/organization in the Western Conference that has it worse than Sacramento.  Hell folks, even Phoenix has passed the Kings up, and they are a train wreck.  The Kings are a dumpster fire.

I guess what I want is to be able to go into a season with hope – and while hope in the NBA hope is limited at most levels with the exception of three teams per year, I certainly would like to root for a team that at least has a shot at the playoffs, and Sacramento is far away from that.  I’ve always admired San Antonio, and for some reason I like Portland, but I haven’t really decided what I’m going to do. 



Oakland/Houston “Basebrawl” .  Look Houston, the last thing you need to be doing is attracting attention to yourselves and this badass routine you are trying to pull off ain’t getting it.  I understand you’re on guard because of certain threats made against you, but just shut up.  Don’t antagonize the opposition. 

 

 

 

Comments