Happy FREAKING New Year

Been awhile, eh?  I just wanted to jump in and say some stuff.  Don't worry - no resolutions, at least not publicly.

New Year's Eve and Day just doesn't seem to have the allure that it once did for me.  When I was a kid growing up in South Florida, the holiday just seemed cooler - more fun.  I always enjoyed watching the bowl games - man there was nothing better than a full day of all the major Bowl games.  

I will admit though I had fun watching the TV last night.  Why?  Because the freaking New Year's celebrations were in a different place, and the emphasis wasn't solely on that Rotten Apple and those fake ass pukes in Miami - which by the way isn't the REAL South Florida.  Watching it go down in Nashville, New Orleans, and South Carolina was cool - it was cool to see something different.  Keep that up - and if I may be so bold, keep trying new and different places.  Let's see how REAL people celebrate the New Year - I'd rather see that.  Let's see some fiestas in San Antonio/El Paso/Albu-crack-ie.  You want to keep it in Florida, do it in Key West and add some caribbean flavor.  Let's see how the inner cities get down.  Let's see something from a winter theme - maybe Minny or Alaska or something.  But move it around - I think letting people see that there isn't that much of a difference...

I think it's a good way for people to see what's really going on and what people are REALLY about, rather than the douchebaggery of the elite shitheads.

Anyway, let's move on to January 1st.  So I woke up this New Year's Day and the first thing I see is an epic blast from comedian Vic DiBitetto about the New Year.  It struck me as not just funny but true.  He had some hilarious takes on staying up until midnight, yapping about Times Square, Auld Lang Syne, and the same old and stupid "resolutions" with hilarious takes on it.  It's a bit crude, and certainly "Rotten Apple-ish" but its funny.  If you don't like cursing, don't bother, but hey it's funny. Go look it up on Facebook.

But if I'm being honest, New Year's Day depresses me in a sense because it's the end of the fun of the holiday season.  That being said, I'm damn sure gonna knock it out of the park with Smokin and Grillin as has become my custom.  Brisket, Tri-tip, and flank steak before we settle into January and get back to the diet.  I have to laugh because my four year old Grandson walked into the house and said "Hey Papa, your meat is smoking."  Awesome and isn't that what things are about - out of the mouths of babes...

At the same time, we've got lots of Football today and tomorrow, so really, New Years Day isn't that bad and the fact that this year its on a Saturday makes it much better.  

So what's beyond today?  Personally, I still think January sucks outside of New Years Day, but if I think positive and enjoy the good things about today, I will say that at least there's some football to keep me occupied in January and I get the fun of going to visit my daughter and her family down south.  Hey it's only a month, and February has a lot of shit going on, so I guess I just need to suck it up.

I guess life isn't that bad after all.  Happy New Year to you and yours.  Let's make it a good one, and as my cyberfriend Tim says (modified by me):  "Have a year."  


Comments