The Dash

Peace.  We all know the generic definition, but at the same time, there's peace of mind and that's what I choose to talk about today.  

A friend of mine posted this on that Facebook thingy and it goes like this:  "Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you, or makes you happy."  I know, it's easy for me to say, and I know the circumstances of the day may require you to suffer, but every once in awhile listen to that inner voice and cut down the time that you aren't happy.  At the same time, don't walk without a plan.  

By the same token, those things deserve their peace too.  There has been times in my life where I walked away because a situation didn't serve, grow, or make me happy.  But putting aside any ego, both sides ended up happier and probably better off.  

But in the end, I'm reminded of a poem called "The Dash" by Linda Ellis and it goes like this:

I read of a man who stood to speak at the funeral of a friend. 
He referred to the dates on the tombstone from the beginning… to the end.

He noted that first came the date of birth and spoke of the following date with tears, 
but he said what mattered most of all was the dash between those years.

For that dash represents all the time they spent alive on earth 
and now only those who loved them know what that little line is worth.

For it matters not, how much we own, the cars… the house… the cash. 
What matters is how we live and love and how we spend our dash.

So think about this long and hard; are there things you’d like to change? 
For you never know how much time is left that still can be rearranged.

To be less quick to anger and show appreciation more 
and love the people in our lives like we’ve never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect and more often wear a smile… 
remembering that this special dash might only last a little while.

So when your eulogy is being read, with your life’s actions to rehash, 
would you be proud of the things they say about how you lived your dash?

My dash is what I've made of it - personally I couldn't be happier.  Professionally I have a ton of regrets, and it's a battle to leave that shit in the past.  But I'm working to change all that.  

To the younger crowd I say this:  what are you doing with your dash?  Can you look back and be happy?  If so, great, more power to you.  But, to those who can't for whatever reason, take heed to the words of this poem.  

I've made my mistakes when it comes to this - I can only offer advice and hope that the youth of today who will become the leaders of tomorrow continue to demand better, but do it for the right reasons.  Live your life on your terms - don't let people tell you that "you can't".  

Media.  A quote that has been attributed to Mark Twain says it best"  "If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed.  If you do read it, you're misinformed."  But here is the funny thing - the fact that this quote is attributed to Twain is itself in dispute.  If it can't even be properly attributed, then really, how are we supposed to trust media?  The author of the "Twain quote" may be in dispute, but the sentiment behind it is spot on.  If you want peace of mind, don't watch the news.

You know what's exciting? I've said this numerous times - most in the generations coming behind us don't want to live like past generations - led like sheep by a pied piper type media.  They're tired of the same old shit.  They're tired of suspicion.  They want to get along, and yes, change will be necessary, and you know what, change is coming whether we like it or not - the only thing is this - can we work with the next generations to make it better for them?  I believe we can and we should.  

Final Thought.  In the end, I'm at the point of my life where I can sit back and enjoy life - I don't need much - maybe a little travel here and there, a Traeger, some places to volunteer, the love of my family, and quiet, and I'm set.  That's my dash and to answer the question of the poem - I can only hope that those who matter to me most would be proud about how I lived my dash.  

Are you going to spend your dash living off the word of some talking head in the Rotten Apple, the District of Crap, Hollyweird, and the Tech World?  Are you going to follow a leader who may not have your best interests at heart?  Or are you going to live your life on your terms - learning as you go and adjusting where you need to?   You need to reflect on that.

So as I say goodbye for today, here's that final thought:  "Have a Week", "Be Peace", and "take care of yourself - and each other."    

Comments