Bourdain's secret to life, and some sports takes


Daylight Savings time is here, and I'm actually looking forward to it, gives me more time to grill, but it's more than that - we get to enjoy light and warmth, and with the COVID hopefully drawing down, we can truly enjoy this Spring and Summer - breathe fresh air, travel, relax, and have fun.   

Secret to life?  Anthony Bourdain, who rapidly climbed the list of my favorite personalities said this:  "Maybe that's enlightenment enough:  to know that there is no final resting place of the mind; no moment of smug clarity.  Perhaps wisdom is realizing how small I am, and unwise, and how far I have yet to go."  He's right.  I traveled the world hitting five continents, I went out and got a Bachelors and Masters Degree, and I worked in leadership in different places, and maybe what Anthony said was the secret to life - there is no final resting place of the mind - there's always more - to learn, to experience, to grow.  We all have so far to go, and if you rest on your laurels you are missing out on so much - due to your on arrogance and or indifference.  If you brag on the past, you're missing out on the current and giving no thought to the future.  

So many experiences, and I look forward to more to come.  I watch Anthony religiously, including repeats - why?  Because of his love of life and of people - and yes, in some cases life lessons.  I know that sounds silly given his end, but it seems to me that he lived life to its fullest and overcame some shit.  He truly got it.  A perspective that few had.

Travel.  I have had a fascination with Iceland lately and today CBS  Sunday Morning had a nature shot of it.  I thought it was nice, so I thought I'd share.  

NFL.  Today I'm watching NFL Network and every time I turned into the channel it was all New York, all the time.  What, is there some sort of contractual requirement that you talk about the Jets constantly similar to showing Jerry Jones at all the Dallas games on TV?  Seems like the NFL is regionalizing like MLB did - and how did that go?  

MLB.  I've had some good fortune to visit a few MLB ball parks, so let me rank them from worst to first:
  1. Oakland Mausoleum.  You know what the best thing of this place is:  You can get to it (or away from it) by the Bay Area Rapid Transit.  
  2. Kingdome.  A freaking cavern.  At least the game I went to was in the middle of Junior's consecutive HR streak.
  3. Jack Murphy (San Diego).  It's San Diego, but it was such a concrete monstrosity.   
  4. Marlins Park (Miami).  Nice and all, but it just seems like a morgue.
  5. AT&T (San Francisco).  Beautiful stadium, cost is out of control.
  6. Royals Stadium (Kansas City).  An awesome place to take in a game, and the only "bitch" I have was the staff wasn't friendly which was a surprise and the food was a disappointment.  
  7. Target Field (Minny).  If you mix in the food, cost, and sightlines, this is the place to be.
MLB is fine and all, but man we all know that hitting a minor league game is so much better, and probably my most favorite place is in Sacramento - not because it's home, but because it's just nicer.  It's smaller, grass out in right field, food is nice, and weather is almost always perfect for a night game.  


Final Thought.  Fuck Politics.  No seriously...FUCK...POLITICS!!!  Every time I hear a politician say something I freaking know they don't give one shit about the people - their only allegiance is to their party and the greenbacks going into their pocket. 

Enjoy your week... 

Comments