Sunday Thoughts

Busy last week here at Casa de B.O.B..  Between trying to help with Grandparenting, working on some of my volunteer things, and dealing with the weather, it’s been a blur.  Sunday is quiet around here, so I thought I’d knock out a few blogs.  First, I'll yap about college.  Too bad Faber didn't have a team...

CFB.  Just a few thoughts here:

  • This would have to be the year things are fragmented with BYU being one hell of a squad.
  • Hey Mississippi State, how the hell do you beat LSU then drop one to Arkansas?
  • Did anybody notice the Pac 12 is back playing ball in November?
  • Oklahoma dropping games against Kansas State and now Iowa State in any other year would be cause for shock.  This morning?  Meh…
  • All that hype for Auburn/Georgia and the Dawgs just ran over them. 
  • Damn, Air Force ran all up in Navy.  Gonna be a rough year for the Middies.

I know, I know, master of saying nothing.  I’ll care come spring when my boy is out there coaching.

Politics.  I don’t expect much from douchebag politicians or the talking heads anymore, but props to Joe Biden for having the decency to wish Trump well. 

California.  One of the reasons I love it so is that there is so much different here.  I’ve never been to Inyo National Forest, there’s plenty of places in this state I’ve never been in nearly 40 years of living here.  I suppose because it’s a bit similar to the mountains so close to my house, but I really want to see it. 

Poetry.  I saw this poem and thought “well, its short and kinda cool, so why not???”  Autumn Fires by Robert Louis Stevenson:

In the other gardens
   And all up in the vale,
From the autumn bonfires
   See the smoke trail!
 
Pleasant summer over,
   And all the summer flowers,
The red fire blazes,
   The grey smoke towers.
 
Sing a song of seasons!
   Something bright in all!
Flowers in the summer,
   Fires in the fall!

We aren’t quite there just yet, but I look forward to that day, hopefully in the next week or two.  Soon we will have some cooler weather, and smell smoke from controlled fireplaces rather than over four million acres of land. 

My dream is to be able to take my wife to see the fall at peak in New England.  There’s just something about it that just seems so cool.


MLB.  I always use this analogy at this time of year because it is so apt, but when Vin Scully said this in “For love of the game”, in a sense and very loosely translated it sure could apply to the Miami Marlins in the craziest of years - 2020:  “And you know Steve you get the feeling that Billy Chapel isn't pitching against left handers, he isn't pitching against pinch hitters, he isn't pitching against the Yankees. He's pitching against time. He's pitching against the future, against age, and even when you think about his career, against ending. And tonight I think he might be able to use that aching old arm one more time to push the sun back up in the sky and give us one more day of summer.”

With apologies to Vin Scully, here is my 2020 take:  You know you get the feeling that Miami isn’t playing against the Atlanta Braves: they’re facing almost no expectations, have few to no fans, against the constant negativity, against everybody who wants a freaking Dodgers/Yankees Series and even when you think about it, about their utter lack of experience, hoping not to let their season end.  Could Don Mattingly be able to coach up that youth and inexperience to push the sun back up in the sky and give hardcore baseball fans looking for an incredible story one more week of Summer?

Do the Miami Marlins have a date with destiny?  I sure hope so.  Prove me wrong in the past Marlins.  Go get ‘em. 

Miami.  The Miami Heat are in the NBA Finals, the Marlins are in the NLDS, and the Dolphins are on the rise, while “the U” appears to be playing well too.  Who the hell saw this coming?  Think about that South Florida – and get out there and support these guys busting their ass.

NFL.  I’ll yap on the negative tomorrow on the rants, but if you look close there are a lot of positives.  Washington is playing hard and you can’t wish for more than that – yes they lost, but they are at least fighting.  Same with Jacksonville and the Chargers.  I like the offense in Cincinnati and you can see the rebuild is moving forward.  Miami’s defense is picking it up, and that offense is starting to click. 


Final Thought.  One hell of a sports weekend and I’m thankful because with everything else going on this is normal.  And now we have another strong week of sports and it at least keeps me thinking.



Comments