Debates and sports

 


As if 2020 wasn't bad enough, we were given the debate.

I did not watch the debate because I knew it was going to be a train wreck, but these idiots didn’t even reach my low level of expectation – this was horrible.  It showed the absolute worst of America and was a National embarrassment.  When Greg Giraldo referred to Jerry Springer as a “cultural sodomite” or referred to another as “a genital wart on the cock of American pop culture”, I think it was misplaced – it should have applied to the politicians.  The politicians of America showed their true colors last night.  They don’t care about people, this has turned into an ego-fest.

After that debacle Tuesday night why on Earth would ANYBODY support either one of these two characters?  Yes, I used the word “characters” because they don’t deserve any better than that – and it’s not meant in a complimentary way.  They treated last night like a reality show recap.  Hell, those two a-holes made the Kar-trash-ians and the Real Housewives look like normal people last night.

At least Jerry Springer says "take care of yourselves, and each other."  In my mind he is higher on the evolutionary chart than politicians.

 

So I thought back, trying to figure out where it all went wrong.  How did we go from Jimmy Carter, who personified graciousness and class (at least as far as I remember) to Donald Trump/Joe Biden?  Jimmy Carter is almost 96, right?  He still goes out and works on building houses and trying right wrongs.  Name me a politician who has done more for people (actual people – not corporations, banks, lawyers and the like) than Jimmy Carter.  Was he a good President?  I have no idea – I was young (16).  History judges him either harshly or ignores him as President, but as with all things in history, that is open to interpretation.

But as a humanitarian, he has made steps light years ahead of everybody else, especially post-Presidency.  Look, I know this is “Pollyanna” thinking, but why can’t our leaders, if they truly want a more perfect union just take a page out of President Carter’s book?  Mistakes were made yes, but we move on and try to contribute positively to society in one way or the other.  I don’t know what Obama, Bush 43, or Clinton do post-Presidency – but I don’t have to wonder about Carter.  My guess about Trump when he is done?  He certainly won’t be swinging a hammer, that’s for sure.  A golf club maybe, but certainly not that.  

Hey Donald Trump, if you seriously want to show your "good side", shut the fuck up.  When you leave office, find a way to help.  That doesn't mean continue on in the political debate - move on and find a way to help people.  

 

NBA.  Speaking of dumpster fires, yeah, the Lakers got to the finals.  But could the Heat put a foot in their ass?  Maybe, but damn sure not in Game One.

MLB.  Playoff time and dammit, Minny got wrecked/swept in two games against Houston and now have a 17 or 18 game post-season losing streak.  Damn.  In other news, Tampa and the Stankees advanced to face each other and that’s becoming quite the rivalry.  Meanwhile Houston awaits the Oakland/Chisox winner. 

Reflection.  My friend Tim refers to a friend who asks “If you could write a note to your younger self, what would you say in only two words?”  My immediate answer is “Calm down.” 

I’ll add a bit here:  there are going to be things you can’t control, assholes to deal with, people who make your blood boil.  And while it didn’t work for me and cost me dearly in my various careers, I would tell my younger self to CALM DOWN and take things as they come.  Don’t focus so much on the future – live in the moment.  Enjoy yourself and stop being in such a rush. 

Final Thought.  There’s something to be said for being a good guy.  It may not be popular, but it’s right and if everybody tried to live like that, how much better would this spinning chunk of rock be?  Now only you can judge what is right for you, but man – it sure ain’t modeling yourself after a bunch of politicians who don’t give a shit about anything but themselves and what they can get out of it.  

Comments