Death, Storms, and Sports

 

Death.  You always walk that tight rope wondering what’s next and rushing for that, but all of a sudden you realize you’re on the wrong side of 55 and that time is more precious.  “Tomorrow” isn’t as guaranteed as it was in youth.   I’m facing this fact more and more, but recently the sports world has lost a lot:  Gale Sayers, Whitey Ford, Bob Gibson, and not too long ago, Lou Brock and Tom Seaver.  This was the generation just before I began my love of sports.  These guys were LEGENDS, and while we all know legends never die, the fact is that in terms of sports talk, there's five whose voices we will no longer hear on interviews – looking back to when it was sport and not entertainment. 

But it also got me to thinking - What have I done?  What will my legacy be?  Have I lived a life worth living?  Did I contribute to making things better in any way?  I think about this a lot lately, and while I still have the ability, I’d like to be able to make that mark.  No, I don’t want to be rich and famous, just comfortable and happy. 

I guess my point in this drivel is this:  Don’t wait.  Go out and do your thing, but make things better for the human condition.  Don’t be a douche, a manipulator, or a politician because that sucks.  Don’t sit at a job that you are miserable with because that simply transfers to your personal life and damn near wrecks relationships.  Be the "glass if half-full" guy who opens the door for a senior, volunteers in some way.  Just be happy!  Take time and smell the roses. 

Storms.  Jesus, what did Louisiana do to piss off folks?  Hasn’t 2020 sucked enough?  Those poor folks down there on top of everything else have to deal with two hurricanes?  Folks, whatever you can do to help these folks.  Food Drive, Blood Drive, money contribution, whatever.  Those folks need some love and some help. 

CFB.  This week?  Meh…

  • Virginia Tech at North Carolina.  This is a very underrated game and nobody will care because these aren't "the cool kids," but I just think this could be a really good one. 
  • Texas vs. Oklahoma.  Just for tradition, this is a cool game.  Oklahoma will not be in the playoffs this year and Texas doesn't necessarily play up to their competition yet has a strong chance this year.  Anyway, it's a rivalry game and it sounds fun.  
  • Miami at Clemson.  I'm curious to see if Miami can hang with the big dawg.  They've gotten their swag back (that's what the kids say, right?) and I suspect that this could be a big moment for the Miami program.  
  • Florida State at Notre Dame.  How bad do the Criminoles get beat down?  It could be 49-7 by halftime.

NFL.  A very weak slate in week five.  Do yourself a favor and go out and enjoy the weekend if you can – it’s gonna be boring.  Four games I’ll be looking at:

  • Cincinnati @ Baltimore.  This matchup being on my radar shows how bad the matchups are going to be this week.  Still, I’m wondering if Cincy is improved enough to stay in this with Baltimore who seems to be one of those teams who just want to flip the switch.
  • Indy @ Cleveland.  I would have never guessed how big this game will be and how funny is it that Cleveland is having this success and no to few fans in the stands to be able to enjoy it?
  • Vegas @ Kansas City.  Sure seems like KC has played quite a few games at home, but this is like a lamb being led to slaughter with the lamb being silver and black.  But the reason I'm watching this is because Kansas City seems to get bored out there and it's a disturbing trend.  
  • Buffalo @ Tennessee.  If this game goes down, it could be a damn good one on Tuesday Night because this COULD be a battle for the #2 team in the AFC come January.  I'm curious to see how Tennessee handles Buffalo.  

Just a thought – two times in three weeks, Sunday Night Football is in Seattle, and I’ll bet when this SNF game was scheduled, NBC thought they were getting a gem.  OK look, Minny is terrible on defense, Russell Wilson has an insane season going, and Seattle has the Vikings number – this is a one sided matchup.   This should be a blowout by halftime, and I’ll tell you this – if Minny somehow gets this game into the 4th quarter, their defense is gonna blow it. 

Dallas gets an absolute break by drawing the New York Giants this week and all the talking heads are yapping about the Giants being competitive and having a good defense.  Stop – they have no offense, and you need to light up the scoreboard on Dallas to keep up with that offense.  If the Giants aren’t out of it by halftime, then Dallas needs somebody to light an absolute fire on that franchise.  What sucks about this is when Dallas blows out Big Blue, the bootlickers will be out proclaiming Dallas is back.  Uh, save it morons.

MLB.  Psst…that sound you heard was the network and MLB excess going spastic while jumping out their windows after the Stankees got punked last night.  So you have Houston, Tampa, and Atlanta along with the dirty, stinking water thieves down south.  You gotta know that those execs who remain have to be praying those boys in blue down south beat Atlanta. 

Meanwhile, Tampa punking the Stankees didn’t suck.  The Rays stayed in the moment and they were focused – unlike Tampa’s QB who didn’t know it was 4th down last night…Belichick must have laughed his ass off last night.

Not sure because I didn’t catch it, but did Aroldis Chapman give up that game winning Homer?  I kept hearing the talking head say that Chapman tried to take off Brousseau’s head?  If I'm New York and I have a reliever situation in the playoffs next year, ole 54 is the last one I'd have on the mound.  

All kidding aside, Houston/Tampa in the ALCS is fine by me.

I just want to join in heaping praise on Miami for how they did this season.  It was an unconventional season and most would have dismissed them as also-rans had this been a regular season.  That being said, Miami seized the moment and took advantage, and although they couldn't get past Atlanta, this has to be a big confidence booster going into next year. 

Houston Cheating.  Dusty Baker getting this bunch in Houston to this point is incredible and props to him.  Yeah, yeah, I know…Houston is a bunch of cheaters.  OK, are the Stankees and Sawx got caught up in some shit and NEVER caught the heat Houston did, so until I hear more about those two getting dealt with, I could care less.  Am I happy about what Houston did?  In a perfect world, hell no, but this is the reality of life in the 21st Century.  As Jim Rome says:  “If you’re not cheating, you’re not trying, and it’s only cheating if you get caught” and they did whatever they could to win.  By the way, how apropros was it that Houston beat Oakland and Mike Fiers (the narc) in this whole thing?

NBA.  As I write this, I’m shocked.  The Miami Heat are still in this thing only down 3-2.  I don’t know what the Lakers are doing – it’s as if they think they can just stretch this thing out and maybe play with Miami for a minute.  Bad move.  Jimmy Butler ain’t gonna take that lightly.  Could you imagine if the Heat come back to take this?  I think LA would absolutely go ape shit.

Final Thought.  As we degrade further into chaos with our so-called "leadership," I ask you all to stay positive.  Don't let these a-holes and their talking heads bring you down.  If you haven't already thought about it, when you cast your ballot - consider giving your vote to a 3rd Party.  Neither of the two parties are doing anything for you or us.

To watch sports is a blessing, but to live life is an even bigger one.  Get out there and have a weekend.  

Comments