Fires, Football, and Fall

 


Saturday – Football, BBQ, and FINALLY, we catch a break – the weather has cooled, the smoke has blown away, and we are doing well against the ‘rona.  Another good thing, we are now officially three days away from the start of Fall.

Last night, one of my fears came true – it has been discovered that quite a few of the fires out here that devastated California and Oregon were Arson.  It is my hope that if this can be proven that those accused are prosecuted to the fullest extent.  The cynic in me has some thoughts about this and boy do I hope they aren’t true.

But in all this, it reminds me that I’ve yet to thank the firefighters and all their support staff for this. 

CFB.   If I’m to watch a game today, and I know I won’t get it out here, I want to see Appalachian State at Marshall.  I enjoy how that program just continues to win.  The other game I would have liked to have watched was cancelled – Houston at Baylor.  Now that would have been interesting.

NFL.  What is the key takeaway in the leadup to week 2?  Injuries.  Damn.  But the second thing I noticed is the absolute resurgence of the running game.  I can’t believe franchises gave up on it for a few years. 

So how do the Rams continue to sign players to mega-deals?  Don’t get me wrong, get what you can get, but going forward, how do they sign support players who earn theirs? 

Game of the week seems to me to be the Rams @ the city of Brotherly Hate – Philly.  This is an absolute MUST win for Philly, but the Rams looked very, VERY good against the Cow-Patties. 

One game I will be paying attention to is Buffalo @ Miami.  This will be a good measuring stick to see how far Miami has grown.  Yes, it’s only week 2, but they are growing and learning and I think with their management, they could be a team to look at in the future.  In the case of Buffalo, they HAVE to win this game.  Still, it’s in Miami and it’s hot, so let’s see how Buffalo handles it.

Last week, I bashed Cleveland, and rightfully so with that defense.  While they did win over Cincinnati – their rushing game seems to be on point, and as the weeks go by, it will open up the passing game.   

 


Tour de France.  When you come to the end of this, it is usually long decided days before the entry into Paris.  Today a young man came from 58 seconds down to being up by nearly a minute if not more.   But I keep hearing that the young man won the Tour de France.  How do you say that with one stage left?  That’s what confuses me about the race.

Voting.  I am told that polls have opened in certain states – at least mail in ballots, so I offer this piece of advice – when it comes to the propositions – before you go into the booth or before you cast your mail-in ballot, PLEASE read who is supporting what proposition.  Also, read the language – a lot of times, it may say one thing but mean another. 

Politics.  It was horrible to hear about Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader-Ginsburg.  But as I said on Facebook yesterday, no sooner did she pass then speculation already began about who her replacement would be and stuff she allegedly said BEFORE anybody decided to honor her.

What an absolute disgrace by both politicians and the freaking disgraceful media.  You wonder why nobody has any faith in the media?  Let the woman rest in peace, allow the platitudes to come in and honor her until she has been laid to rest.  Then if you want to make fools of yourselves go ahead.

Oh, and memo to Republiturds - you were the ass-hats who stopped voting for President Obama's nominee when he was on his way out LONG before this, and now you want to ram-rod President Trumps nominee through?  Hypocrites.  Here's an idea - focus on winning the Senate and Trump re-election then submit the nominee.  



September.  A thought about September, with parts of a poem by Helen Hunt Jackson:

The Golden-rod is yellow

The corn is turning brown

The trees in apple orchards

With fruit are bending down

 

From dewy lanes at morning

The grapes’ sweet odors rise

At noon the roads all flutter

With yellow butterflies

 

By all these lovely tokens

September days are here,

With Summers best of weather,

And Autumn’s best of cheer.

The point of this – at least there is one thing to be positive about.  Hopefully we can all go out and enjoy the things Autumn has to offer.

Comments