Sunday Morning Thoughts

 

Welcome back.  You know, it’s hard to come up with content when you constantly have to worry about what you say or type.  It’s hard to write what you want to when you know there are people out there looking for something to be offended by. 

Some advice?  To own that you are wrong is but to say, “I am wiser today than yesterday.”

CBS Sunday Morning.  Summer and Watermelons go hand in hand, and thanks to one of my more favorite shows, well, here you go:

I am so glad that my grandson loves them so much.  At least there’s something being passed down…

MLB.  Seeing Stephen Strasburg is now out for the season for surgery.  That’s not good, but he was 0-1 with a 10.80 ERA, so it actually may help Washington, currently in last place with a 9-13 record.  But with an abbreviated season and they’re only four games out, it’s not lights out either.

Speaking of the Nationals, they fired one of their employees for ALLEGEDLY throwing two cups of hot coffee in the face of a female convenience-store employee down in the DR.  To the dude who ALLEGEDLY did it, if it’s true, YOU SUCK. 

It was really cool to see that the starting lineups for the Oakland A’s was announced by members of their family on the big screen in Oakland.  That’s AWESOME and I hope it made the players feel good.

NFL.  Was very sad to read about the Cancer in Ron Rivera.  It is said that it has been caught early and I hope that he will be alright.

The Kansas City Chiefs are banning Native American headdresses, face paint, and are reviewing the Arrowhead Chop.  Now, normally I would criticize this – however, since 2014 the Chiefs has been in conversation with local American Indian leaders.  Now I’m not aware of the conversations but if the Chiefs are doing this, they must have felt or been told that those leaders and their constituents have a problem with that.  OK, no problem. 

At the same time, KC is going to have fans at their games – up to 16,000 fans.  If the virus allows, then great, but I darn sure hope it doesn't spike in KC.

NBA.  Philly is now down 3-0 to the Celtics, but I’m having trouble with the overreaction by so many folks.  Did you really think Philly was going to take that next step so soon?  Yeah, I agree that dropping the first three games to their historical arch-enemy is troubling, but Philly still has to grow and learn.  And no, I am not a fan of Joel Embid. 

Once again, the LA Lakers get the benefit of so many more free throws than an opponent in the playoffs.  Outscored 26-8 in free throws, Portland still only lost the game by eight points, but this is the stuff that the NBA hears about from those who wonder if there could be any fairness in that league, which depends heavily on TV.  

NHL.  With all the talk about the other sports, the NHL continues to quietly go about its business with its second round of playoffs:

·         Dallas vs. Colorado

·         Vegas vs. Vancouver

·         Philly vs. New York Islanders

·         Tampa vs. Boston

I complain about this all the time, but damn why isn’t there more Canadian teams in this thing? 

Finally, Jeremy Roenick and Mike Milbury, what in the ever loving hell are you thinking?  Look guys, the media isn’t a locker room and people are just looking for something to be offended by.  Stop saying stupid shit.  Here’s a tip – if you think its funny in your head, don’t freaking say it. 



Summer.  A poem called “Summer in Wellfleet”.  I did not see a credit for who wrote it, so whoever ou are, you did a great job – certainly worthy of sharing.

In Summer, when cars flood the roads,

I take the trails through the woods.

Underfoot, sand and beach grass,

In the air, pine and pollen.

A canopy of oak leaves overhead

Blocks the sun.  Robins skitter before me

As I walk, a flock of turkeys

Scampers past.  If I’m lucky,

I’ll run across a doe

Or a bushy-tailed fox.

Ladder-backed woodpeckers

Type their enigmatic code

Into the bark of trees

And squirrels perform circus acts—

Flying from branch to branch

While chipmunks search below

For gypsy moths that parachute

From above.  I like to walk

To kettle ponds and swim

Until I forget

Whatever it was

I had to do. 

In the mountains near my home, and even in my small town, so much of this applies.  Be it mountain lakes, golden hills, or even the woodpecker who does his thing on the power pole across the street every morning.  It all applies here in Northern California.

Final Thought.  This Summer, the ‘rona and the fires have taken away a good chunk of the opportunities to have fun.  But rather then get bent, I’m trying hard to find positives, and that is why I am being reflective of Summer so much recently.  I hope that in the future, I can hand my blogs down to my grandkids so they can understand what Summer was and what it can be for them.

Comments