The thoughts of a Hermit




Another weekend is upon us, and just in case you don't hear enough, Uncle B.O.B. is back again because there are just too many things to speak of.

Covid.   In the understatement of the year, this thing sucks.  So many people that we all know have been so negatively affected by it that it's crazy.  I really hope and pray that this thing can find a way to wind down and wrap up so that folks can get back to normal and hopefully back to work.

Oh yeah, and to all you politicians who are using this as some sort of political theme, SCREW YOU!!!  People are really suffering out here and all you jackasses can do is blame the other side and do nothing?  Please people for the love of all that is holy and good - vote every single incumbent out!!!

Cooking.  Meanwhile as a positive, necessity has driven folks having to start learning how to do things by themselves - and I consider that a good thing.  One thing that I have enjoyed seeing this Summer is the fact that so many people are growing their own vegetables.  From the samples I see on social media, they've done one hell of a job.  As for us, we went to our local place known as Sloughhouse and got some fresh veggies and fruits and I'm looking forward to grilling some fresh vegetables - some red peppers marinated in balsamic vinegar and mixed with some red potatoes sounds kinda good  

And now, I've got a creative streak and decided to try my hand at making some Limoncello.  

Weather.  Sunday, August 2nd and the Hurricane/Storm that was coming towards South Florida wasn't bad and I'm thankful for that, though I am very sorry to read about so much damage up north.  But to those who are out there partying on the beach and watching the waves, I don't get it.  Maybe I'm just getting too damned old.

So it's now August, and we all anxiously await the next 45 days before the season of Fall starts - a time of cooler weather, but a time of reflection, and a time to check out Natures beauty.  Can't wait until the end of September/early October to get up into the mountains.


But at the same time, three weeks ago, My family and I got away to the Northern California coast to enjoy some beautiful weather - 60's and cool.  On Saturday Night, the fog roared in and it was insane.  But overall watching the seals, the deer, and just enjoying the weather was something very special.  

This is the part of living in California that's awesome.  From Casa de B.O.B., it's only a short to medium drive to many fantastic places to enjoy:  the Coast, Sierra Nevada, Wine Country, Gold Country, farms, foothills, you name it.  There's just so much to do.  

BBQ.  I got me a new toy, the Traeger Pro 34.  I loved my 22, but I felt I needed something bigger for the many events we have at our house and perhaps even for some volunteer events that I participate in.  Thanks to my wife and kids for the very early birthday present.  Last week, I made some tasty Key West Chicken and some Mexican Street Corn and it was really good.

As for my 22, I gave it to my son in law who is working hard on getting it cleaned up and ready for more service.  

NBA.  I'm reading that the owner of the Minny Vikings is emerging to possibly buy the Timberwolves. This is a franchise and a team that should be more successful than it is and if you're a Minny fan, getting rid of that current owner might help.  But at the same time, will it divide the Vikings owners interest?  Hopefully, new ownership can rid the black cloud hanging over this franchise.  

Speaking of black clouds, that brings me to the Rotten Apple, where Tom Thibodeaux has resurfaced.  I sure hope the time out of the league has relaxed him.  But does it really matter when you have James Dolan as an owner?




MLB.  Toronto will supposedly play their home games in Buffalo and no Bills Mafia, that does not give you a license to get loose for those 30 home games and dive into flaming tables from the top of a car roof or act like Jeff Hardy in a tables match.  Put the alcohol down and back away slowly Buffalo.  Love you all, but save it for football, too many of you are gonna get hurt.

And by the way, I caught Buffalos act during a recent showing of Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations.  No wonder you jerkys are so crazy.

NFL.  Ah yes, changing culture.  Here's the thing about changing culture, it has to be wanted by the stakeholders and more importantly those at the top - particularly in Washington with the team formerly known as the Redskins.  Dan Snyder will do it kicking and screaming because of the mood right now, but he'll slow it to a crawl and that won't help.

On this topic, its certainly not fair to ask/expect Ron Rivera to be the face of the franchise while the owners sit in the back and hide.  Sure seems he has enough to do to fix the product on the field.  The ownership created this mess - they should be taking the hit.  But in the end, Rivera has so much on his plate, I just hope he can do it.  

I see that Seattle paid a kings ransom to the New York Props (err, Jets) for Jamal Adams.  Two first rounders and Bradley McDougal.  Those first rounders will be mid-first rounders at best, so my guess is that Seattle won the immediate deal.  Then you have to wonder if the Jets will do the right thing in the draft.  Good luck with that.

CFB.  You know, I was really hoping to get to watch that North Dakota State/Oregon game in September.  I think that could have been a good one.  I wouldn't have minded driving to that game.

On a separate note, unfortunately last night ESPiN reported that the Big Sky is going to an 8-game Spring season.  Disappointing, but understandable.  Hopefully the pandemic will be gone by then.  It's gonna be weird to have less football on Saturdays in Autumn.

Charities.  This virus has played absolute havoc with non-profits and their ability to do things, and their missions are so significant.  I'm not here to ask you to donate, but I am asking that you give them some thought at this time and if there is anything you can do to help, I'm sure it would be much appreciated.  Hell, it doesn't have to be financial, or time-based.  Perhaps just a kind word to those folks about how they are helping out could be all the difference.

One last thought.  I started this by saying we're now in August, and it gave me pause for thought - that we're only five full months left in this God Forsaken year of 2020.  So I'm going to lift my Snapple Lemon Tea and offer a toast to the coming Autumn Season and the hope that it will be a time where we can all get out and enjoy the cooler air and all the good things that the season brings.  But even more so, I am really hoping  2021 is as good or better than 2020 was bad.  

Comments