Forest Fires, Dumpster Fires, and some sports

 

Welcome to the beginning of the weekend.  Normally this would be a weekend where people would be out and about taking advantage of outdoors.  Unfortunately, how do you celebrate a weekend in August with COVID, Fires and Smoke and ash, and now the closure of more businesses because of our spike in COVID?  Trips to the mountains and lakes are out, with roads to the ocean are blocked, and there’s fires there too.  Stay home my friends.  


DNC Convention.  OK, I saw it – and I wasn’t impressed.  Not because I don’t agree with the platform, but because they march the same tired ass “leaders” out there.  Look, I’m 55 years old and I’ve seen the same names for most of my life and quite frankly, I have to ask “what have they done?”  Do they really, seriously want change, or do they just want to go back to the way that it was, which wasn’t working for those they claim to care about.  Or is it just that they hate Trump so damn much?  Don’t laugh it up Republiturds, you are just as bad.

Let me say this after listening to the freaking talkers – this country is not at stake.  We’ve been through Civil Wars, World Wars, Great Depressions, medical issues, acts of God, despicable treatment of humans, and here we still stand.  Stop with the hype.  Explain what you are about and what you want to do – it’s that simple.  If you truly want to help folks, explain how you are going to do it.  Your hype only serves to scare people and keep their minds closed to your way of thinking rather than listening to your side. 

Yes, we have LOTS of problems, not the least of which is leadership.  There’s violence, hatred,  drugs, education, health care and big pharma, crime, the media, greed, corruption, ego, arrogance, greed, corruption, ego/Arrogance.  Lack of respect, lack of empathy.  We are decadent, spoiled, and expect everything to be handed to us.  

We've let ourselves get this way because we continue to reward the same people with leadership slots over and over again.  Where has it gotten us?  

The Old Farmers Almanac thought for the day is "Everybody is wise after the event."  Perhaps this is a great thought for politicians.  

MLB.  Yesterday, Beeze and I had a good conversation about looking at the game itself.  Has anybody noticed that Miami and Baltimore, arguably the two shittiest franchises around are playing .500 ball right now?   With all the crap  going on right now, take the time to watch a game this weekend.  

What the hell, a little levity.  A teddy bear got taken out by a line drive in Oakland last night:


NBA Draft Lottery.  So the Minnesota Timberwolves won the #1 pick.  So think about this for a minute – they already have two all-stars and now they get another #1 draft pick, followed by Golden State at #2, which is a case of the rich getting richer.  And look at the West now – strong from #1 through #14 with a 15th team (Sacramento) that could get better if the ownership could pull their head out of their ass.


Summer.  One Part of the good Summer is eating, and here we go, from Andrew Marvell, Thoughts in a Garden:

"What wondrous life is this I lead!

Ripe apples drop about my head;

The luscious clusters of the vine

Upon my mouth do crush their wine;

The nectarine and curious peach

Into my hands themselves do reach;

Stumbling on melons, as I pass,

Ensnared with flowers, I fall on grass."

-  Andrew Marvell, Thoughts in a Garden 

Do you remember?  Enjoy those summer fruits my friend because as William Shakespeare said “Summer’s lease hath all too short a date.”

Final thought.  I know I'm a bit of everywhere today, but try to enjoy your weekend.  


Comments

The National retirement age 67...The same should go for all these old ass, career politicians...The fact the leaders of both are all mid-70's and up is a disgrace, and continues to show how out of touch DC is with the rest of the country. Stay safe!
B.O.B. said…
Thanks Beeze. It is horrific out here right now. My county is safe, but the smoke/ash is so thick you can't go outside more than a minute.

I'm disgusted by the leadership on both sides, almost to the same level as you. They spend more time making each other look bad than they do about actually trying to fix issues. I need to see change - real change with tangible results. I believe we need to get rid of all these folks currently in charge.