Corn and…NEGATIVITY???


We’ve finally come to the end of August, and while I celebrate it, I should say that it isn’t that August is a bad month, but it’s just long and boring with no holidays.  There’s this two month gap between the 4th of July and Labor Day, and while Summer is awesome, particularly with the insane heat and fires this year, I’m ready to turn the page on the Calendar, and start to head towards more holidays and just as much fun.

Shout out to my oldest Daughter who turns 32 today.  Wish we could be together, but we’ll see you soon.

I know I rely on CBS Sunday Morning way too much, but I want to start finding more uplifting, reflective things in life, rather than the constant negativity, so hopefully that explains the fascination.  So today, I share a story from the show yesterday:

Corn.  A staple of Summer.  As was said, a taste of Summer.  It is one of the things I love about Summer, but also with the upcoming Autumn season.   But when I watch this video, you actually learn something at around the 3:00 mark. 


 

Negativity over Corn???  But even watching a puff piece about corn, people find a way to take the fun out of it.  Comments on the video were just ignorant and negative.  People, it was a fun and enjoyable video of corn and farms and one hell of a dish I might add – why can’t you just enjoy it for what it was?  People have taken the fun and enjoyment out of life.  Not me, not anymore. 

Look, Corn is a simple pleasure to most.  How in the hell can people be so freaking negative about it?  You really have to be miserable to look for something negative to find in a puff piece on corn.  C'mon people, enjoy life.  Forget the bullshit, grab some corn and slam it down.  

In fact, I'll go one further, get some corn, potatoes, and seafood.  Grab some friends, some drinks, and have an old fashioned seafood boil.  Oh man, talk about fun...

My view.  Today, I look forward to going to my local corn patch and picking up some corn, and some fresh veggies, along with some fruit.  We got away from that for years, but of late as with everything, I am finding that the simpler things are fine with me.  Corn is but one of those things. 

I have begun to enjoy corn salad, along with learning how to roast corn.  To get back to being a little more self-sufficient in terms of cooking or grilling is imperative.  And boy, does that Oaxacan street pizza sound good. 



Sad to see Summer go?  So back to the beginning paragraph.  At the end of the video, they ask whether or not most Americans are sad to see the Summer of 2020 end.  In this CBS News Poll, 64% said they were looking forward to Autumn, 30% are sad to see the Summer end.  Now, I rarely take stock in polls because who the hell are they asking?  A bunch of people walking down a street in Manhattan? 

But I think in totality, you have to look at the realities of this horrible year, and sure, I can understand why folks would want to move on.  Maybe it's the hope that with the hopeful change of temperature, we can look forward to something approaching Normal?  Hell, I don't know.

My reality is that while I have extolled the virtues of Summer on this blog, yes, I am looking forward to Autumn because it is probably my favorite time of year.  That doesn’t mean that I don’t feel for the kids – teenagers and younger who didn’t get the chance to enjoy and experience the season, especially for those who graduated in 2020 and didn’t have the opportunity to enjoy one final summer before adulthood sets in.  I feel for them.



Comments

I love corn! But the big issue I have with the insane amount of it that gets wasted...So my issue is with the system as 40% of corn production is wasted...Also the use of corn in feed for animals that don't naturally eat corn and they try to 'roid them up and grow them faster by stuffing them with corn...But those are two separate issues...Corn is fantastic!