2018 in review




The sun is setting on New Year's Day, the Rose Bowl just ended with the Sugar to follow, the Sacramento Kings are hosting Portland on TV, the brisket has just come off the grill and the family sits in my tiny living room getting loud just before dinner, and yet when everything should be the maximum of positive, I fall into this annual funk as the sun sets today.  It's hard to explain but it feels really weird - we go from the lights and the color of the season to the bland and dark of January.  I wonder "Is this it?" 

But then I wonder - why am I down?  Yeah, January isn't the greatest month, but I've got everything a man needs in life - a supportive and loving family, a strong job, and I feel like I have a purpose.  January is going to be busy with a lot to keep me occupied.  So screw it, don't fear the future, let's enjoy what we have and let's move forward. 

"Time stands still for no man" and as is my tradition, I write about the year just passed and my hopes for the new year to come. 
When it comes to sports, I read an article from Sarah Spain and I agree - it's time to quit whining and complaining and celebrate the top ten moments from 2018 because quite frankly there was some damn good stuff going on: 
  1. Philly beating New England in the Super Bowl was good for the NFL in so many different ways.
  2. Las Vegas going all the way to the Stanley Cup Final out west was good for the NHL, but Washington finally getting by Pittsburgh and actually winning the cup was just as huge.
  3. The Cleveland Browns winning seven games and tying one this season.  I'm not big on Baker Mayfield's "persona", but I am so damn happy for fans of the Cleveland Browns.  What a bright future.
  4. Ohtani in Anaheim, I only hope that he can continue what looks to be a promising future.
  5. The Miracle in Minneapolis.
  6. The Oakland A's and Atlanta Braves had solid surprise seasons.  Milwaukee rising up in the NL was pretty cool, but Boston winning the Wold Series by laying LA out was refreshing.
  7. Patrick FREAKING Mahomes.  
  8. Loyola Chicago making it to the Final Four.
  9. #16 UMBC beating #1 Virginia was pretty awesome and it raised hope going forward for those little guys.
  10. My son's team (UC Davis) go from 5-6 last year to 10-3 this year with a share of the Big Sky Championship and making it to the National Quarterfinals, one minute away from an appearance in the National Semi-Finals.
Honorable Mention was that Chiefs/Rams Monday Night Football game, the kid from Oregon with cerebral palsy who got a contract from Nike.

So there were positives, but then there has to be that negativity, doesn't there?
  1. Offensive Line play in the NFL
  2. Kareem Hunt's alleged behavior towards women.  
  3. Jimmy Butler and his drama.
  4. Serena Williams' meltdown at the U. S. Open which led to disrespect of the Champion.  Her moment of glory was taken away.  Sad.
  5. The Baltimore Orioles
  6. Golden State vs. Cleveland (Part Four).
  7. UCF wins 25 games in a row and can't get into the playoff?
  8. The Chargers Failure in LA
  9. Abysmal officiating in the NFL and apparent one-sided officiating in the NBA.
  10. What the Raiders owner is doing to Oakland fans
Honorable mention on negativity:  Charging PPV prices for things such as Mickelson/Elderick and the non-sense known as MMA, particularly that brawl that broke out.  That umpire in MLB that makes it all about him.  Laker fans crying about officiating?


Travel was fun in 2018, went to South Florida, Kansas City (three times), and Portland/Vancouver, WA.    In 2019, we're hitting Las Vegas, Kansas City, and possibly Orlando and Anchorage on business.  Mix in the annual trips to San Diego, and Reno and we're gonna be busy yet again.  I also hope to hit North Dakota to watch one of my son's games in September or October - would love to go to the Fargo game against North Dakota State.

As for hopes in sports, I want to see the Sacramento Kings win at least 35 games by the end of the season - the more the better.  I would like to see MLB get some form of parity and somebody new rising up.  I want to see the Minnesota Vikings retool their O-Line and get cracking.  I'd like to see UC Davis get even further in the CFB Playoffs.  I'd like to see Raider fans tell the NFL to "eff off." 

So enough with the negative - let's enjoy the potential and the positive that the new year brings. My goals:  Let's keep it simple.  Yes, the traditional lose the weight because I HAVE to, but more importantly to listen more, and to be more patient. 


In the end, as the sun sets on New Year's Day and the holiday season as a whole, I'll enjoy the final big family dinner and watch a couple of more games and now smile - for as Lou Gehrig said in 1939 "I am the luckiest man in the world."  As we transition back to full time work, I wish all of you the very best of 2019.  

Comments