Florida, a Texan, and a Cuban

 So here we are.  I'm one week into my deletion of Twitter and I don't miss it.  


When I was a kid growing up  in South Florida, I didn't really appreciate what I had down there.  But what a lot of people forget is that it is more than just Miami, Fort Liquordale, and the Palm Beaches.  All you have to do is drive inland (not far) and you start drifting into the Everglades.  And then on the West Coast, there's beautiful white sand beaches in Naples, Siesta Key, Sarasota/Bradenton, and other places up to Tampa. I guess what I'm trying to say is this - appreciate the whole and not just the part.

Speaking of La Florida, props to the Tampa Super Bowl Party Celebration.  I'd rather watch that then the stupid impeachment shit.  Tossing the Lombardi 10 feet from one boat to another wasn't smart, but hey, it's Florida - HAVE FUN!!!

J. J. Watt.  Today, J. J. requested his release from Houston and it was granted.  It was the right thing to do for Houston's organization - reward the cat for his hard work.  Being a Vikings fan, I'd like to see them sign a one or two year contract with 99 to at least stabilize the d-line.  Of course with my luck, 99 ends up in Green and Gold going back home to play for the Pack.  

One last thing, sometimes you watch a player and see his heart.  J. J. was crucial for Houston during that awful hurricane that came through and that is what he should be remembered.  But looking into the future, I wonder if you are looking at somebody that could be an outstanding coach.  

Houston Texans.  I'm not within the walls of the building, but damn if it doesn't seem some kind of toxic down there.  Maybe the owner needs to COMPLETELY clean house.  

The Truth.  A friend of mine posted a meme that says "Do you promise to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, even though nobody has any idea what that is anymore?"  It was meant as a joke, and I laughed, but the reality is this - the truth has been obfuscated and the fact that those in DC, NYC, LA, Silicon Valley, and the media are responsible, as are we for taking what they say at 100%.  

When I hear something now, I always take it with a grain of skepticism, which brings me to this:

Mark Cuban.  To be fair, I haven't liked Cuban for awhile, because of his shitty behavior as owner doing obnoxious shit and this only cements my belief - this thing with the anthem was a stunt.  I warmed up watching him as a businessman because I believe he's VERY smart, but Mark there was no misinformation out there, you chose for social and political reasons not to play the National Anthem - it's that simple.  And now the "outrage machine" turned on you, the NBA semi-sort of cracked down and you couldn't handle it.

Was I offended by your stunt?  No.  I'm tired of being outraged, and quite frankly what you do at an arena in Dallas doesn't affect me in rural Northern California.  This is America - the fact is that is your business and you can do with it what you believe is right.  Yes Mark, I agree this country has a ways to go to live up to it's billing - there's no denying that, but I think you are a bit misguided - we are long past needing "to talk", we need action.  We need to open our ears, and put out our hands in love and friendship and most importantly RESPECT.  It's time to stop listening to those who would divide us,  and just factually come together. 

Finally this:  Whitney Houston at Super Bowl 25.  Marvin Gaye at the NBA All-Star Game in 1983, Aretha Franklin numerous times.  and the performances at NHL all-star and playoff events raise the anthem.  Is Mark Cuban saying that Whitney and Marvin shouldn't have done it, or shouldn't if they were alive and in their prime today?  

In fact, I personally believe that the anthem has been politicized and monetized all to hell and that is the problem.  Instead of some sort of reverence celebrating our Nation, we use it as a punch line and I'm disgusted by it - and THAT offends me.  Placing a betting line on how long it takes a singer to go through the anthem is annoying.  

And Mark, just for the purpose of clarification and in the words of President Obama and now President Obama-lite (err, Biden):  "Let me be clear":  NOBODYs voice is being heard it doesn't matter what your social status or level of pain or fear is.  My friend Tim in Pennsylvania isn't being heard and my guess is many of his friends aren't either.  The folks working on pipelines aren't being heard, people who are desperate for the virus vaccination aren't being heard.  I'm certainly not being heard here in California, and my brother and sister veterans who have struggled for decades with the VA sure don't seem to be heard.  Folks in the inner cities damn sure aren't being heard, and damn sure those in the rural areas are looked over.  This isn't a social or political issue, it is an AMERICAN issue.  Nobody listens to anybody and until we find a way to cure what aches the heart, nothing is going to change.   Everybody has to look within. 

 

Final Thought.  As crazy as this sounds, we are heading into what amounts to four straight days that in the past might have been considered holidays or special days:  (February 14th, Valentines Day; February 15th, President's Day; February 16th Mardi Gras; February 17th, Ash Wednesday).  Three of those days celebrate the positive in humanity, the fourth celebrates history.  All I know is that this is a welcome diversion.  Let's all find a way to take a break from the bullshit and find a way to find and advance love and peace - after all, isn't that much better then hatred and battle?  

Take care of yourselves and each other - Enjoy the weekend.

Comments