Reflecting

 


Man, I need to back and visit the open market and get some fresh veggies.  Maybe tomorrow.  Learning and growing with my cooking and would love to get some tips on roasting corn on the cob.  It just seems hard to get it just right.

I heard this song yesterday, and in my own warped sense, perhaps it is one that could bring folks together:


Given all the BS, I know I’m ready for a brand new beat because the BS right now is tired and I’m going to talk about that on Tuesday when I rant.  Let’s all get out and come together and give the dividers the middle finger. 


On Walden Pond.  When I was a punk in High School, we spent our Literature year reviewing “On Walden Pond.”  Hell, I was a kid in South Florida, what the hell did I care about what somebody from the 1840’s New England was talking about.  Well, I’ve been giving what I remember about it a lot of thought recently, and in a few cases, it is exactly what I am feeling. 

Solitude and a respect for nature.  It’s two things for sure I am all about.  By as Thoreau cautions – by my thinking is that you should guard against complacency.  Very fair point. 

I was also struck by an interpretation of the “work” portion of the book, where somebody interprets that Thoreau believed “that work should not be difficult or excessive or distract from one’s proper pursuits but instead be indistinguishable from leisure, because all parts of life should be rewarding.”  That may have been true in the 1840’s in Thoreau’s mind, but in the 2020’s, work is necessary and you take what you can get, and the worst part being you don’t have security when you do work.  I would be willing to bet that 10% or less enjoy what they do.  It’s a sad reality.

Fortunately, I am in a position in my life that if I want to go back to work, I will do it, but only something that I would enjoy.   I am lucky. 


BBQ.  Yesterday I made some Baby Back Ribs, Brisket Flat, and Garlic Naan – with Hot Dogs for the kids, and I was happy with the end result.  It has been awhile since I got to grill so I took full advantage.  If there was a problem, the flies were so out of control outside.  It was crazy.  My son and his girlfriend made Jalapeno Poppers, my daughter made some vegetable medley, and she also made some darn good desserts.  

Meanwhile today, my daughter and her family are going to go up the hill to visit Apple Hill.  Hope the weather is OK.  

College Football.  I don't care if it was Austin Peay and Central Arkansas, I was glad to see some football actually being played.  It was FCS football, the same as my son's division.  

CBS Sunday Morning.  Keeping with the Summer theme of late, Northern California and Ladybugs.  It’s been a long time since I have been to Muir Woods, but for me, to drive in that traffic to get to a place that is so nice and quiet, well, I’ll just enjoy the video.


Final Thought.  Today, I saw a tweet from the Iron Sheik of Wrestling fame.  Dude is off the chain, but in his own way, he said something that we all kinda need to look at.  He said “In a world full of people you can be the real or the jabroni.  What will you be bubba?” 

Can you be real to yourself and what you believe or will you be a jabroni who rolls with the sheep because you want to be cool?  Just freaking be yourself. 

 

 



Comments